Website maintenance costs are easy to justify because of the results it delivers
How can you justify the cost of website maintenance costs easily?
This applies to both hourly or monthly and the answer is simple,
It is not a question of how much you pay, it is the serious question of how much will you lose without a regular routine?
Hands up all those business owners who have looked at their web design project as ‘completed’ when it is launched…
…I bet more there was plenty of you put your hands up didn’t you?!
Designing websites and launching them is just the beginning
When you finally launch your brand new web design, I am certain you will have been told that your new website is;
- Future proof and will not need any serious updating
- Really can look after itself as we have added x,y or z plugins and components
- Meets all the Google guidelines and is W3C compliant
- Is search engine ready and will rank naturally within days or weeks
- Is totally secure and will be safe from hackers
All (or some) of the above may well apply on the date of launch and will apply forever, as long as things don’t change.
Here is something to consider, things online do change, every single day and here is a little snapshot of some biggies…
- My clients’ have experienced ranking results and improved performances within 2 weeks
- On average I update over 250 plugins per month for my client sites
- Google has released 5 major updates to its’ algorithm this year alone
- WordPress alone have released over a dozen updates in 2015
- I block, on average 25 suspect IP addresses daily
I think you get the picture that online, things change regularly and if you do not keep your website up to date, it can become (at best) a dated website design, or at the very worst a huge security risk to you and your visitors.
OK, forget the websites, let’s give you an everyday comparison to consider
Open up your laptop, desktop or tablet device and roll it back to the factory settings.
Once done, please go into your settings and DISABLE your operating system updates!
Have you done it?
Course you haven’t!
That would be madness.
You would leave your devices open to all kinds of problems, you would not be able to enjoy some of the latest content online because your system is out of date and more importantly, your device is placed at a huge risk of infection from hackers, viruses and worms.
Now look at your website and answer these questions honestly…
- What does your copyright notice say at the bottom of your page? Bet it isn’t current.
- On your team page, how many of your ‘staff’ are still working for you?
- Are your prices still the same now as they were in 2009?
- Using a CMS? Is it the latest version?
- When did you last scan your local machines for adware and malware?
- When did you last back up your website?
- Are your customers enjoying reading the same content you published x years ago?
- How many times have your customers complimented you for an article you added?
- Has your turnover increased massively online since you launched your website?
…you wouldn’t do it to your devices, so why do it to your website? Your website is a crucial business tool that is the face of your company.
Now you can look at my article and if your business website has no support planned or indeed you haven’t subscribed to a Professional website maintenance service provider such as mine you will soon discover that the true cost is far greater than the anticipated website maintenance cost of a regular monthly subscription or even an hourly charged quarterly/bi-annual project.